Sunday, June 26, 2005

A bit busy...

I will start to write soon... I’m just a bit busy right now, trying to finish my essay on secularization in eighteenth century Europe. It’s a subject matter that I love (religion and politics) but I find it a bit hard right now to organise my thoughts into a structured essay. The name of the blog is abhyasena, which is ‘by practise’ in Sanskrit. It’s a word that appears in the sixth chapter of the Bhagavad-gita, where Krishna instructs Arjuna about the process of yoga. Arjuna finds the process hard, because it is hard to control the mind, but Krishna encourages him that it’s possible by suitable practise and by detachment. Both are my challenges right now, because I get ‘very interesting and good ideas’ that does not relate to my task of writing, and cleaning and gardening seems increasingly noble acts at the moment. Anything to distract me from writing.
Then comes the point of detachment… Can I accept to write an ok essay, or does it have to be ‘brilliant’? I of course want to do a good job, but at what point does it become an ego issue? Some speak about the Pareto principle, which has been interpreted in various ways. One of them would be that we use 20% of our energy to produce 80% result, and 80% to finish the last 20%. From that point of view we would use our energy better by being satisfied with an 80% result. However, in the grand scheme of things, an essay is not the most important thing in the world, neither is it the end of it. And from a spiritual point of view, perfection is only a concept that relates to God. I’m of course also perfect, because the soul is part of Him, but I’m tiny. A perfectly tiny being…

No comments: