Wednesday, September 27, 2006

The Pope's speech

I found a link to the Pope's speech that upset so many. At this point I haven't read it myself, so I can't really comment on it. What I found interesting about the whole issue though is the Pope's response, in comparison to some newspaper editors and politicians during the Danish cartoon controversy.

Since the Pope's motivation was not to cause offense, he apologised for apparently upsetting people and invited muslim leaders and diplomats for dialogue. In other words, he showed some humility and openess. What the 'free speech' advocates did during the cartoon controversy was to print them over again, and arguing their right to express whatever they wanted even if it hurt and upset other people. Interestingly, they said they wanted to make a point, but they didn't take the opportunity given to them to engage in dialogue.

I'm not trying to point out what is right or wrong here in the specific matter, because I haven't yet read the Pope's speech, nor seen the Danish cartoons; I'm just pointing out the contrasting reactions that occurred in those two events. In the Pope's case, he chose humility because that is what religion is all about - we are all insignificant in front of a greater loving power. While the secular humanists, who cannot really have place for humility, for man is the centre of the universe, chose the only naturally available attitude left - pride?

No comments: